Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Birthday Tradition St. Louis Style


For as long as I can remember I have had strawberry shortcake for my birthday cake. Puyallup valley grows some amazing strawberries. Instead of being tough enough to ship without spoiling, they are small, juicy, and packed with enough flavor that your mouth tingles when you bite into one. The first crop is ready right around my birthday each year. There is nothing better than Mom's shortcake smothered in fresh Puyallup strawberries and homemade whipped cream. Heaven.

St. Louis is home to Ted Drewes Frozen Custard (since 1929). It is a landmark and they sure know how to make frozen custard! It is some good stuff! On a previous stop there I discovered that they have a frozen custard version of strawberry shortcake. It was quickly decided that this year my traditional birthday cake would have a St. Louis twist.

Charlie fell asleep in the car and wanted to stay that way.

Keith was able to go to work late (he made me breakfast, yum) and get home early yesterday (my birthday) so we packed up Charlie and headed downtown.


Here it is! It was SO GOOD! Shortcake topped with strawberries, a huge dollop of their frozen custard, and whipped cream. Yum yum!!! It didn't beat Mom's cake and Puyallup berries, but I am liking this St. Louis version of a tried and true tradition.

P.S. We made our first of many future trips to the Missouri Botanical Garden this weekend to celebrate as well. A post is short-coming.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Happy Birthday! Speaking of Puyallup (yes, I had to check that spelling three times), we bought some cherries the other day and they made me think of the super-delicious Ranier cherries we got from a fruit stand on our way up to your house once.

And then there's the strawberries...my mouth waters just remembering how tasty they were. I've never had any so delicious.

I'm glad you had a great birthday!

Austin said...

Happy Birthday Katie! My roommates and I went on a road trip last week, and we drove right through St. Louis! Twice! I had forgotten you are there. Hope you're enjoying it! :)