Pages

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It´s a small world

On Sunday I called my folks at the normal time, 2pm here, and was surprised to find that my Dad had already left the house and my Mom was rushing out the door. Wasn´t it only 8am there time? Walking back to my apratment afterwards I realized that it is not fall but spring back home which means that although Argentina fell back one hour, the northern part of the world sprang ahead. That means that now the world is two hours smaller than it was a few days ago. My family in Washington is now only 4 hours behind instead of 6, and the folks in Utah are only 3 hours different instead of 5. Now if only it worked that way with the mail service...

When Darwin stopped by Patagonia on his way to fame and fortune in the Gallapagos, he said that here "the wind sweeps the land like the broom of God." He wasn´t joking. The the only thing that can resist it are the rocks, and at low tide when the sand is wet, even they leave tracks. It is incredible.

1 comment:

twigs said...

Our Patagonia girl,

Your Darwin quote reminded me of my favorite Darwin quote.
Darwin wrote:
"One day, on tearing off some old bark, I saw two rare beetles, and seized one in each hand; then I saw a third and new kind, which I could not bear to lose, so that I popped the one which I held in my right hand into my mouth. Alas! it ejected some intensely acrid fluid, which burnt my tongue so that I was forced to spit the beetle out, which was lost, as was the third one."

That’s dedication!
See you soon!!!
Twigs